







































Congress leaders and party workers gathered outside the Parliament Street Police Station on Friday as Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi continued his sit-in protest, demanding the registration of an FIR over the alleged use of pellet guns against student protester Sahil Lochav during the July 20 demonstration. Gandhi was accompanied by Lochav, who Congress leaders say suffered serious injuries after allegedly being hit by pellets while protesting peacefully at Jantar Mantar. According to Congress sources, Gandhi plans to continue the protest until an FIR is registered.
In a post on X, Gandhi accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah of avoiding accountability and questioned why authorities were allegedly preventing Lochav from pursuing legal action. He claimed the incident was an assault on constitutional rights and called for a judicial inquiry into the alleged police action. Several senior Congress leaders, including Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Jairam Ramesh, Salman Khurshid, Kumari Selja and Devendra Yadav, joined Gandhi at the protest site. Congress workers also raised slogans outside the police station.
Khurshid said Gandhi would remain at the protest until the FIR was registered and expressed confidence that the demand would eventually be accepted. Congress sources claimed Lochav and his lawyers first approached Delhi Police on August 14 and submitted a written complaint but allegedly did not receive an acknowledgement or an investigating officer's number. They said the matter was followed up again by email and phone on August 17, but the requested details were still not provided.
On Friday, Gandhi accompanied Lochav to the Delhi Police DCP office at Parliament Street to press for action on the complaint. According to the sources, Gandhi had earlier visited Mandir Marg Police Station seeking registration of a case. After allegedly failing to get the complaint registered there, he met senior police officials, including the DCP Central, before proceeding to Parliament Street Police Station.
The Congress has argued that the alleged incident amounts to a cognisable offence and therefore warrants registration of an FIR. Gandhi has demanded an investigation and accountability for those responsible. The issue was also raised by Gandhi during a press conference on July 29. At the time, he alleged that students protesting in Delhi had been subjected to excessive force, including the use of pellet guns and batons. He cited what he described as an AIIMS medical document concerning a student who allegedly suffered an eye injury.
Gandhi had questioned the use of such force against students, arguing that peaceful protesters should not be subjected to violence for raising questions or expressing their views. He also accused the authorities of failing to adequately address allegations of police brutality. The Congress protest has now intensified the political confrontation over the July 20 demonstrations, with the party demanding a formal police investigation and accountability for the alleged injuries suffered by protesters.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from @RahulGandhi.

BJP MP Suresh Kashyap on Thursday launched a strong attack on the Congress-led Himachal Pradesh government, criticising the party over the HimCare health scheme, the Vande Mataram controversy and its allegations regarding Central assistance to the state. Speaking at the 78th foundation day celebrations of the Central Potato Research Institute (CPRI) in Shimla, Kashyap congratulated the institute's scientists and staff for their contribution to potato research and agricultural development. He said CPRI had played an important role in helping India become one of the world's major potato-producing countries through research, improved varieties, quality planting material and modern farming technologies. He urged scientists to continue working on disease-resistant and high-yielding varieties to improve farmers' productivity.
Kashyap also praised the Narendra Modi government for increasing agricultural support and research funding. He referred to initiatives such as PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi, improved market connectivity and Kisan Rail as examples of measures aimed at helping farmers and strengthening the agriculture and horticulture sectors.
On the HimCare health insurance scheme, Kashyap said allegations of irregularities should be investigated and anyone found guilty should face appropriate action. However, he strongly opposed discontinuing the scheme, arguing that administrative or implementation-related problems could be corrected without depriving beneficiaries of healthcare support. He described HimCare as an important source of assistance for poor and needy families and urged the state government to address the reported shortcomings and ensure that eligible beneficiaries continue receiving the scheme's benefits.
Kashyap also criticised the Congress over its decision to sing only two stanzas of Vande Mataram at a recent Congress Working Committee meeting in Delhi. Calling the decision unfortunate, he alleged that the Congress had failed to show proper respect for the national song. He also referred to the party's Independence Day celebrations and made allegations regarding Sonia Gandhi's role during the rendition of Vande Mataram.
The BJP MP further targeted Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, alleging that some of his statements made outside India had affected the country's image. Kashyap said the BJP regarded Vande Mataram, the Tricolour and Bharat Mata as symbols closely associated with India's honour, pride and national identity. Responding to Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu's criticism of the Centre's disaster-relief assistance to Himachal Pradesh, Kashyap defended the Union government, saying the state had continued to receive Central support. He pointed to the 90:10 funding pattern applicable to Himachal Pradesh as a special-category state and said the Centre had provided assistance during disasters as well as through various development schemes.
On the Revenue Deficit Grant, Kashyap said it was intended as a temporary arrangement and argued that Himachal Pradesh should now work towards greater financial self-reliance. He urged the state government to focus on controlling debt and unnecessary expenditure while pursuing its stated goal of making Himachal self-reliant by 2027. Kashyap also criticised the proposed reduction in the officers' cadre, saying the government should look for other areas where expenditure could be reduced instead of weakening the administrative structure. Referring to what he called a "fauj of friends", he argued that unnecessary spending should be addressed more effectively.
The BJP MP also responded to Sukhu's claim that the BJP was divided into several factions and that Congress would return to power in the next Assembly elections. Kashyap pointed to the recent Panchayati Raj and urban local body elections, claiming that the results demonstrated strong public support for the BJP. He said BJP-backed candidates had secured key positions in district councils and performed strongly across local bodies. Describing the local body elections as a "semi-final", Kashyap claimed that the BJP had already received a favourable response from voters and predicted that the party would form the next government in Himachal Pradesh with a comfortable majority after the 2027 Assembly elections.
He also rejected the Chief Minister's criticism that BJP MPs were mainly active on social media and were failing to raise Himachal's concerns before the Centre. Kashyap said BJP MPs in both the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha understood their responsibilities and did not need a certificate or instructions from the Chief Minister.
According to Kashyap, BJP MPs would continue raising issues related to Himachal Pradesh with the Union government. He said Union ministers had regularly visited the state and provided assistance, while BJP MPs had received a positive response whenever they brought the state's concerns before the Centre. Kashyap accused the Congress government of failing to properly acknowledge Central assistance after receiving funds and said the state administration should instead concentrate on its economic condition, development and employment situation.
With the Congress government having completed more than three-and-a-half years in office, Kashyap argued that its focus should now be on improving governance and the state's finances rather than commenting on the activities of BJP MPs. He maintained that the BJP would continue to raise Himachal Pradesh's issues at the Centre and remain focused on strengthening its position ahead of the 2027 Assembly elections.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

The United Kashmir People’s National Party (UKPNP) has appealed to the United Nations and the international community to intervene over what it described as a deteriorating human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Jammu & Kashmir (PoJK). The party urged Pakistan to immediately stop what it called the excessive and lethal use of force against peaceful protesters and civilians. In a post on X, UKPNP spokesperson Sardar Nasir Aziz Khan expressed serious concern over reported civilian deaths and injuries, arbitrary arrests, alleged enforced disappearances, communication blackouts, movement restrictions and actions against political activists and human rights defenders.
According to Khan, information attributed to the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), along with reports in international media, suggests that dozens of Kashmiris have been killed since June 5, 2026. The UKPNP also claimed that hundreds of people have been arrested or detained, while families remain unaware of the whereabouts of some of their relatives.
The party has called for the immediate restoration of mobile networks, internet services and other communication facilities, arguing that the restrictions have isolated communities and prevented Kashmiris living abroad from maintaining contact with their families. The UKPNP also raised concerns over what it described as punitive measures against individuals, including their placement under Schedule IV, suspension or blocking of passports and identity documents, deactivation of SIM cards, restrictions on bank accounts, limitations on movement, arrests and alleged intimidation of activists and human rights defenders.
Khan said the party wants authorities to immediately disclose the whereabouts of all detained and reportedly missing individuals. It also demanded that detainees be allowed to meet their families and lawyers and receive necessary medical treatment, while being provided access to an independent and impartial judicial process.
The UKPNP further called for the release of people it said had been detained solely for peacefully exercising their fundamental rights. It also demanded the immediate return of the bodies of deceased protesters that it alleged were still being withheld by authorities, saying families should be allowed to conduct dignified funerals without intimidation or pressure.
The party has additionally called for independent investigations into allegations of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, torture, unlawful detention and excessive use of force. It also sought inquiries into allegations involving the destruction or vandalism of homes, shops, businesses and private property, saying anyone found responsible for criminal acts should face accountability through credible and impartial legal proceedings.
The UKPNP said Pakistan, as a member of the United Nations and a party to major international human rights instruments, has an obligation to respect and protect fundamental rights. It urged authorities to restore freedom of movement, expression, peaceful assembly and association, along with access to communications, healthcare, legal assistance and essential services. The party also demanded the restoration of blocked passports, identity documents, SIM cards and bank accounts. It maintained that such documents and services should not be used as instruments of political pressure or retaliation against individuals exercising peaceful political rights. The allegations made by the UKPNP could not be independently verified from the information provided. The situation remains politically sensitive, with competing claims surrounding the protests, security measures and the treatment of civilians in the region.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from Reuters.

India and Singapore have concluded the fourth India-Singapore Ministerial Roundtable (ISMR), with ministers from both countries identifying several emerging sectors—including the green economy, industrial parks, fintech, semiconductors and green shipping—to further expand bilateral cooperation. According to a statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday, the ministers reviewed progress under the India-Singapore Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP), which is built around six key pillars: advanced manufacturing, connectivity, digitalisation, healthcare and medicine, skills development, and sustainability.
During the discussions, both sides welcomed the steady expansion of bilateral ties and explored opportunities in green economy, industrial parks, food security, digital connectivity, fintech, semiconductors and green shipping. India was represented by Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal, and Minister of State for Commerce and Industry and Electronics and Information Technology Jitin Prasada.
Singapore's delegation included Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Trade and Industry Gan Kim Yong, Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security K Shanmugam, Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Digital Development and Information Josephine Teo, and Transport Minister and Second Minister for Finance Jeffrey Siow. The ministers reviewed progress across several areas of the partnership. These included the growing number of transactions through the UPI-PayNow linkage, the pilot registration of Indian generic medicines in Singapore, and increased exports of Indian fruits such as litchis, mangoes, cherries and plums. Singapore has also approved Indian establishments for the export of processed poultry products.
Other initiatives discussed included the development of the National Centre of Excellence for Skilling in Chennai, the upcoming fourth Singapore-India Hackathon, scheduled for November 15-17, 2026, and the planned Green Lane Initiative for semiconductors. Cooperation is also progressing on green hydrogen supply chains, while the Singapore Business Federation is set to open an office in Bengaluru. Both countries agreed to strengthen connections between Indian states and Singapore, including by encouraging regular visits by Indian chief ministers to Singapore.
Several agreements and understandings were also exchanged during the roundtable. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and the Singapore Food Agency signed an MoU on food safety cooperation. The agreement will facilitate technical information sharing and support smoother bilateral trade in agricultural and food products.
Another MoU between India's Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways and Singapore's Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth will promote cooperation in maritime heritage. It will facilitate exchanges between museums and institutions, including India's National Maritime Heritage Complex at Lothal in Gujarat.
India's Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and Singapore's Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) also exchanged a Letter of Intent aimed at sharing regulatory experiences in telecommunications and broadcasting. During the visit, the Indian ministers met Singapore Prime Minister Lawrence Wong. Sitharaman also held discussions with Jeffrey Siow, while Jaishankar met K Shanmugam and Vivian Balakrishnan.
Jaishankar and Balakrishnan jointly laid the foundation stone for the new Chancery-cum-Residential Building Complex of the High Commission of India in Singapore. Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal addressed the India-Singapore Business Forum and met potential investors and industry representatives. He also visited an exhibition showcasing Indian agricultural products aimed at boosting exports to Singapore.
Minister of State Jitin Prasada held discussions with semiconductor industry stakeholders, alongside a dedicated Semiconductor Industry Roundtable. The two sides also received the report of the fourth India-Singapore Business Roundtable (ISBR), which serves as an advisory platform for business leaders to provide industry perspectives on bilateral economic cooperation.
The MEA said the ISMR mechanism reflects the dynamic, multidimensional and future-oriented nature of India-Singapore relations. The bilateral relationship was elevated to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Singapore in September 2024, while a roadmap for implementing the partnership was adopted during Singapore Prime Minister Lawrence Wong's visit to India in September 2025.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from X/@DrSJaishankar.



Singapore’s prison population is ageing, with one in six inmates now aged 60 or above, compared with one in 10 in 2019. Daniel Martin spoke with Quentin Lee, Assistant Director and Lead Psychologist at the Singapore Prison Service’s Psychological and Correctional Rehabilitation Division, who is part of a National Committee sub-group focused on preventing offending and re-offending among older adults. They explored the factors driving the rise in elderly inmates and examined the support needed to help older offenders and ex-offenders break the cycle of crime and reintegration into society.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

A new survey by TOUCH Community Services found that although six in 10 parents reported that their children had faced mental health challenges, only about one in six believed these issues were moderately or directly connected to their online experiences. Hairianto Diman and Justine Modd examine what parents may be overlooking and explore ways to better support children as they navigate the digital world. They also speak with Dr Chew Han Ei, an online safety researcher at the Institute of Policy Studies, about the issue.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

In today’s 17 August market analysis on Open For Business, Hairianto Diman and Justine Moss are joined by Nick Ferres, Chief Investment Officer at Vantage Point, to discuss the latest market trends and developments.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

On today’s (13 August) episode of Open For Business, Hairianto Diman and Justine Moss discuss the latest market trends and economic developments with Will McGough, Chief Investment Officer at Prime Capital Financial. The conversation explores current market conditions, investment sentiment, inflation, interest rates, and the broader outlook for investors as global financial markets respond to evolving economic signals and changing expectations.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.