

























Congress leaders and party workers gathered outside the Parliament Street Police Station on Friday as Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi continued his sit-in protest, demanding the registration of an FIR over the alleged use of pellet guns against student protester Sahil Lochav during the July 20 demonstration. Gandhi was accompanied by Lochav, who Congress leaders say suffered serious injuries after allegedly being hit by pellets while protesting peacefully at Jantar Mantar. According to Congress sources, Gandhi plans to continue the protest until an FIR is registered.
In a post on X, Gandhi accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah of avoiding accountability and questioned why authorities were allegedly preventing Lochav from pursuing legal action. He claimed the incident was an assault on constitutional rights and called for a judicial inquiry into the alleged police action. Several senior Congress leaders, including Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Jairam Ramesh, Salman Khurshid, Kumari Selja and Devendra Yadav, joined Gandhi at the protest site. Congress workers also raised slogans outside the police station.
Khurshid said Gandhi would remain at the protest until the FIR was registered and expressed confidence that the demand would eventually be accepted. Congress sources claimed Lochav and his lawyers first approached Delhi Police on August 14 and submitted a written complaint but allegedly did not receive an acknowledgement or an investigating officer's number. They said the matter was followed up again by email and phone on August 17, but the requested details were still not provided.
On Friday, Gandhi accompanied Lochav to the Delhi Police DCP office at Parliament Street to press for action on the complaint. According to the sources, Gandhi had earlier visited Mandir Marg Police Station seeking registration of a case. After allegedly failing to get the complaint registered there, he met senior police officials, including the DCP Central, before proceeding to Parliament Street Police Station.
The Congress has argued that the alleged incident amounts to a cognisable offence and therefore warrants registration of an FIR. Gandhi has demanded an investigation and accountability for those responsible. The issue was also raised by Gandhi during a press conference on July 29. At the time, he alleged that students protesting in Delhi had been subjected to excessive force, including the use of pellet guns and batons. He cited what he described as an AIIMS medical document concerning a student who allegedly suffered an eye injury.
Gandhi had questioned the use of such force against students, arguing that peaceful protesters should not be subjected to violence for raising questions or expressing their views. He also accused the authorities of failing to adequately address allegations of police brutality. The Congress protest has now intensified the political confrontation over the July 20 demonstrations, with the party demanding a formal police investigation and accountability for the alleged injuries suffered by protesters.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from @RahulGandhi.

Former Congress MP Sajjan Kumar, convicted in a case linked to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, died at a Delhi hospital on Thursday at the age of 80. Kumar, who had been serving a life sentence at Tihar Jail, was taken to Safdarjung Hospital after his condition deteriorated. Doctors declared him dead on arrival. The hospital has yet to officially state the cause of death. A three-time Lok Sabha MP from Outer Delhi, Kumar was once a prominent Congress leader. He left the party following his conviction in 2018.
The 1984 anti-Sikh riots erupted after then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards, Satwant Singh and Beant Singh, on October 31 that year. Widespread violence followed in Delhi and other parts of India, with armed mobs attacking Sikh families, homes and businesses. More than 3,000 people, mostly Sikhs in Delhi, were killed during the violence.
Kumar remained involved in several legal cases arising from the riots for more than three decades. His legal history included both acquittals and convictions at different stages. On December 17, 2018, the Delhi High Court overturned a 2013 trial court acquittal in one of the key cases against Kumar. The High Court convicted him for criminal conspiracy and abetment and sentenced him to imprisonment for the remainder of his natural life.
The case concerned the killing of five Sikh men in Raj Nagar Part-I of Palam Colony and the burning of a gurdwara during the riots. In its judgment, the High Court described the 1984 violence as “crimes against humanity.” Kumar later challenged his conviction and sentence in the Supreme Court, where the matter remained pending at the time of his death.
In January this year, a Delhi court acquitted Kumar in two separate cases involving allegations that he had incited violence in Janakpuri and Vikaspuri during the 1984 riots. The acquittals, however, did not lead to his release because he was still serving life sentences in other cases related to the violence. Kumar received another life sentence in February 2025 in the Saraswati Vihar case. The Rouse Avenue Court convicted him over his alleged role in a mob attack in which a father and son, Jaswant Singh and Tarundeep Singh, were reportedly burned alive. The prosecution had requested the death penalty, but the court imposed life imprisonment, taking into account Kumar’s advanced age and health condition.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from NDTV.

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday announced the formation of a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to conduct a detailed investigation into the deadly fire at a hotel on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata. Adhikari said the administration's immediate priority was rescue and relief work, ensuring proper medical treatment for those injured and determining the circumstances that led to the devastating blaze.
In a post on X, the Chief Minister expressed grief over the incident and alleged that the tragedy highlighted what he described as a “legacy of negligence” from the previous administration. He claimed that unchecked construction and the operation of commercial establishments without adequate compliance with mandatory fire-safety requirements had contributed to unsafe conditions in parts of the city and state.
Adhikari further alleged that previous authorities had failed to conduct proper compliance checks and enforce basic safety regulations. He said the present administration was working to address those shortcomings and strengthen enforcement of fire-safety standards. The Chief Minister also assured victims and their families that the government would extend all possible assistance. He directed officials to ensure that those injured receive the best available medical care and support.
To establish the facts and determine accountability, Adhikari said the five-member SIT had been constituted immediately. The team will examine the circumstances surrounding the fire and determine whether the hotel complied with mandatory fire and safety regulations. The blaze reportedly broke out at around 2 am on Wednesday, leaving at least nine people dead, including a child, while several others were injured. Officials said around 60 people were rescued from the building.
Some of the victims were reportedly Bangladeshi nationals who had travelled to Kolkata for medical treatment. The Bangladesh Deputy High Commission in Kolkata said its officials visited the site after being informed about the incident and coordinated with local authorities regarding the victims. According to the Deputy High Commission, five Bangladeshi nationals were among those confirmed dead, while four of them were members of the same family. Officials were still working to establish the identities of the remaining victims.
The diplomatic mission also said that six injured Bangladeshi nationals had been discharged after receiving initial medical treatment. The newly formed SIT will now examine the sequence of events, fire-safety arrangements at the hotel and whether required safety standards and regulations were properly followed. The investigation is expected to determine whether any lapses or negligence contributed to the loss of life.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

Union Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Nadda underwent angioplasty at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, on Monday, August 17, 2026. The hospital said his condition is stable and he remains under observation in the Department of Cardiology. According to an AIIMS statement, Nadda underwent the procedure after being evaluated for uneasiness. The hospital confirmed that he is currently stable and receiving medical care.
Several political leaders have wished the Union minister a speedy recovery. Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Harsh Sanghavi expressed his concern and prayed for Nadda’s good health. “Wishing a speedy recovery and good health to Union Minister Shri JP Nadda Ji,” Sanghavi said in a post on X. Gujarat Energy and Petrochemicals Minister Rushikesh Patel also extended his wishes to Nadda, hoping for his swift recovery and continued good health.
Nadda had been admitted to the cardiology department at AIIMS on August 14 for observation after experiencing uneasiness. The hospital had earlier said that he was evaluated on the evening of August 13 and underwent several tests, including a coronary angiography. AIIMS stated that Nadda was stable and had been admitted for further observation under the Department of Cardiology.
The latest update indicates that Nadda remains stable following the angioplasty. Further details about his health and discharge are expected from the hospital as his medical team continues to monitor his recovery. The Union minister, who also plays a prominent role in the BJP's organisational and political affairs, is expected to resume his regular responsibilities after doctors give him clearance.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.



Myanmar's military government has released rare images of detained leader Aung San Suu Kyi meeting a Red Cross official, marking her first known contact with the outside world since the 2021 coup. The photos were released just ahead of junta chief Min Aung Hlaing's first official visit to Thailand, prompting speculation about their political significance.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

In a conversation with political editor Tom McIlroy and chief political correspondent Dan Jervis-Bardy during the 50th Labor conference in Adelaide, South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas discussed his state’s political battle with One Nation. He said progressive groups should avoid dismissing or talking down to Pauline Hanson’s supporters, arguing that their concerns need to be understood rather than ignored. Addressing the ongoing debate over the AUKUS submarine deal, Malinauskas acknowledged concerns after the US revealed that Virginia-class submarine production rates had not improved. However, he maintained that walking away from the agreement would create greater strategic risks than the challenges surrounding the controversial defence partnership.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

On Made in SG, Melanie Oliveiro chats with Singaporean singer-songwriter Frances Tan, who recently competed in the Commonwealth Song Contest — an international music competition featuring participants from all 56 Commonwealth countries. Tan shares her experience of being chosen as a Grand Finalist, representing Singapore alongside six other finalist nations. She also discusses her original track, Just Me, which she submitted as her contest entry.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

Following the shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, Donald Trump and the White House administration responded strongly, accusing the media and the Democratic Party of contributing to rising political violence. Reged Ahmad and Jonathan Yerushalmy explore the origins of the deep political divide between Democrats and Republicans in the United States. At the same time, Usha Vance has started a new podcast, raising questions about her motives, while King Charles’s upcoming visit to the White House is expected to shed light on Donald Trump’s relationship with the British monarchy.
Disclaimer: This video is taken from The Guardian.