





























The United Kashmir People’s National Party (UKPNP) has appealed to the United Nations and the international community to intervene over what it described as a deteriorating human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Jammu & Kashmir (PoJK). The party urged Pakistan to immediately stop what it called the excessive and lethal use of force against peaceful protesters and civilians. In a post on X, UKPNP spokesperson Sardar Nasir Aziz Khan expressed serious concern over reported civilian deaths and injuries, arbitrary arrests, alleged enforced disappearances, communication blackouts, movement restrictions and actions against political activists and human rights defenders.
According to Khan, information attributed to the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), along with reports in international media, suggests that dozens of Kashmiris have been killed since June 5, 2026. The UKPNP also claimed that hundreds of people have been arrested or detained, while families remain unaware of the whereabouts of some of their relatives.
The party has called for the immediate restoration of mobile networks, internet services and other communication facilities, arguing that the restrictions have isolated communities and prevented Kashmiris living abroad from maintaining contact with their families. The UKPNP also raised concerns over what it described as punitive measures against individuals, including their placement under Schedule IV, suspension or blocking of passports and identity documents, deactivation of SIM cards, restrictions on bank accounts, limitations on movement, arrests and alleged intimidation of activists and human rights defenders.
Khan said the party wants authorities to immediately disclose the whereabouts of all detained and reportedly missing individuals. It also demanded that detainees be allowed to meet their families and lawyers and receive necessary medical treatment, while being provided access to an independent and impartial judicial process.
The UKPNP further called for the release of people it said had been detained solely for peacefully exercising their fundamental rights. It also demanded the immediate return of the bodies of deceased protesters that it alleged were still being withheld by authorities, saying families should be allowed to conduct dignified funerals without intimidation or pressure.
The party has additionally called for independent investigations into allegations of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, torture, unlawful detention and excessive use of force. It also sought inquiries into allegations involving the destruction or vandalism of homes, shops, businesses and private property, saying anyone found responsible for criminal acts should face accountability through credible and impartial legal proceedings.
The UKPNP said Pakistan, as a member of the United Nations and a party to major international human rights instruments, has an obligation to respect and protect fundamental rights. It urged authorities to restore freedom of movement, expression, peaceful assembly and association, along with access to communications, healthcare, legal assistance and essential services. The party also demanded the restoration of blocked passports, identity documents, SIM cards and bank accounts. It maintained that such documents and services should not be used as instruments of political pressure or retaliation against individuals exercising peaceful political rights. The allegations made by the UKPNP could not be independently verified from the information provided. The situation remains politically sensitive, with competing claims surrounding the protests, security measures and the treatment of civilians in the region.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from Reuters.

The Human Rights Council of Pakistan-occupied Jammu & Kashmir (HRC-PoJK) has raised alarm over reports concerning the detention and alleged undisclosed whereabouts of Kashmiri leader Shaukat Nawaz Mir, demanding that authorities immediately clarify his status and present him before a competent court.
In a post on X, the rights organisation urged the concerned authorities to reveal Mir’s location and explain the legal basis for his reported detention. It also called for him to be allowed to meet his family and consult with legal counsel, while insisting that he be produced before a court in line with constitutional protections and due process.
HRC-PoJK said that if no valid legal charges have been brought against Mir, he should be released without delay. The organisation warned that keeping an individual incommunicado or allowing their whereabouts to remain unknown can amount to a serious violation of fundamental rights and the rule of law.
The council further appealed to national human rights bodies, lawyers, civil society groups and the media to urgently take note of the reported detention. It stressed that authorities must provide transparency and ensure that any action taken against Mir remains within the bounds of law. The latest appeal comes after HRC-PoJK previously called for an independent, impartial and transparent investigation into incidents involving deaths, civilian injuries and allegations of excessive or disproportionate use of force in the region.
According to the organisation, the continuing situation in Pakistan-occupied Jammu & Kashmir should not be viewed solely as a political, administrative or law-and-order issue. It said ordinary residents continue to face the consequences, including disruptions to daily life, restrictions on civil liberties, difficulties accessing essential services and growing concerns over personal security. The council maintained that human life, dignity and fundamental freedoms must remain protected, regardless of political disputes, administrative decisions or public protests.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

Saudi Arabia's relationship with Pakistan has entered a more significant security phase following the signing of a new defence agreement involving Riyadh, Islamabad and Türkiye. The agreement has generated questions about whether Saudi Arabia would go as far as direct military intervention if Pakistan faced a major conflict. The three countries signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement on August 7, 2026. Under the agreement, an armed attack against any one of the three countries is to be regarded as an attack against all. The pact also provides for closer political and military coordination, joint exercises and cooperation in areas including defence technology and production.
The announcement is important because Saudi Arabia and Pakistan already have a long history of military cooperation. Pakistani military personnel have served in Saudi Arabia, while the two countries have maintained defence training and security links for decades. A separate Strategic Mutual Defence Agreement signed by Saudi Arabia and Pakistan in 2025 had already taken their security relationship to a higher level.
The latest agreement, however, adds another dimension by bringing Türkiye into the framework. Türkiye has developed a growing defence industry and has strengthened its military relationship with Pakistan in recent years. The three countries therefore bring different strategic capabilities to the partnership. For Pakistan, Saudi Arabia's support is particularly valuable because it extends beyond military cooperation. Riyadh is an important economic partner for Islamabad and has considerable influence through investment, energy cooperation and financial assistance. A stronger defence relationship could therefore reinforce the wider strategic relationship between the two countries.
But the agreement does not necessarily mean that Saudi Arabia would immediately send troops to fight alongside Pakistan in every conflict. The wording of the pact establishes a collective-defence principle, but the exact military response would depend on the circumstances. Saudi Arabia could respond through diplomatic pressure, intelligence sharing, military supplies, logistical assistance, economic support or air-defence cooperation without directly entering a war.
This distinction is particularly important because Saudi Arabia has its own security concerns. Riyadh remains focused on protecting its territory, energy infrastructure, maritime routes and wider regional interests. A decision to become directly involved in a conflict outside the kingdom would therefore carry significant strategic and economic consequences. The relationship also has to be viewed against Saudi Arabia's growing ties with India. Riyadh and New Delhi have expanded cooperation in energy, investment, trade and strategic affairs. Saudi Arabia consequently has an interest in maintaining its relationship with India even as it strengthens its partnership with Pakistan.
That could make Riyadh's role particularly complicated during any future India-Pakistan confrontation. Saudi Arabia could face pressure from Islamabad for stronger support while simultaneously seeking to prevent the conflict from escalating into a wider regional crisis. The inclusion of Türkiye could also increase the strategic weight of the partnership. Pakistan provides significant military experience and capabilities, Türkiye brings an increasingly advanced domestic defence industry, and Saudi Arabia contributes substantial financial resources and regional influence. Together, the three countries can potentially build a stronger defence network than any one of them could create alone.
However, describing the arrangement as a "Muslim NATO" would be premature. Although the collective-defence language resembles NATO's Article 5, the new partnership does not yet have NATO's extensive institutional structure, integrated command system or decades of operational experience. The real significance of the agreement may therefore be deterrence. By formally declaring that an attack on one member would be treated as an attack on all, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye are sending a message that a major attack against any member could have wider consequences. Whether that message is strong enough to prevent a future conflict will depend on how credible the three countries' commitments become over time.
For Saudi Arabia, the calculation will ultimately come down to circumstances. Riyadh is clearly willing to deepen defence cooperation with Pakistan and provide stronger political and strategic backing. But direct military intervention would represent a much higher level of commitment. If Pakistan were facing a limited confrontation, Saudi support could remain largely diplomatic, economic and logistical. If Pakistan faced a major threat to its national security, the pressure on Riyadh to provide more substantial assistance would be considerably greater. The latest agreement therefore represents a significant development, but it should not be interpreted as an unlimited Saudi guarantee for Pakistan.
Saudi Arabia appears willing to go considerably further for Pakistan than it has in the past, particularly in terms of defence cooperation and strategic coordination. Whether Riyadh would actually enter a war on Pakistan's side, however, would depend on the nature of the conflict, Saudi Arabia's own interests and the potential consequences for the wider region. The message from Riyadh is clear: Saudi Arabia wants a stronger strategic partnership with Pakistan. The unanswered question is how far that partnership would extend when tested by an actual war.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from NDTV.

India has reiterated that Bangladesh’s request for the extradition of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is being considered in accordance with established procedures. On August 11, 2026, the Ministry of External Affairs said there had been no change in New Delhi’s position on the matter. During a regular media briefing in New Delhi, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the request was being examined within India’s existing legal and procedural framework. He also said that the investigation into the killing of Bangladeshi activist Sharif Osman Hadi is still in progress.
Jaiswal’s comments came a day after Indian High Commissioner Dinesh Trivedi met Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman in Dhaka. According to the MEA, the two sides discussed issues of mutual interest, with the broader focus remaining on strengthening bilateral relations. The meeting also reportedly touched on the extradition of Hasina and the return of individuals wanted in connection with the Hadi murder case. Bangladesh has been pressing India to accelerate the extradition process.
A statement from Prime Minister Rahman’s office said Dhaka hoped New Delhi would move faster on the request for Hasina’s extradition. Bangladesh has also asked India to hand over suspects wanted in connection with Hadi’s killing, according to local media reports.
Hadi Murder Case Remains Under Investigation: Sharif Osman Hadi was attacked on December 12, 2025, while travelling by rickshaw on Paltan Road in Dhaka. According to reports, gunmen riding a motorcycle opened fire at him, striking him in the head. Hadi was subsequently flown to Singapore for medical treatment. However, he died from his injuries on December 18.
The investigation later extended to India. Earlier this year, the Bangladesh High Commission in Kolkata confirmed the arrests of two Bangladeshi nationals, 37-year-old Faisal Karim Masud and 34-year-old Alamgir Hossain. Indian media reports linked the two men to the murder investigation. Following their arrest, Bangladesh’s Deputy High Commission in Kolkata approached Indian authorities seeking consular access to the detained individuals.
India-Bangladesh Relations Remain a Key Focus: The meeting between Trivedi and Rahman came at a sensitive point in India-Bangladesh relations, with extradition and security-related issues addng to the diplomatic agenda. Describing his discussion with the Bangladeshi prime minister as productive, Trivedi highlighted the longstanding relationship between the two neighbouring countries. He said India and Bangladesh do not merely share a border but also “share dreams.”
The Indian High Commission also said on X that Trivedi conveyed New Delhi’s willingness to engage with Bangladesh in a constructive, positive and forward-looking manner. Both sides exchanged views on areas of mutual interest and explored ways to deepen bilateral ties with a people-focused approach. The handling of Hasina’s extradition request, alongside the investigation into Hadi’s death, reflects the delicate balance India and Bangladesh must maintain between legal procedures, security concerns and diplomatic relations. With both matters still unfolding, New Delhi’s emphasis on established procedures indicates that the extradition request will continue to be dealt with through the relevant legal framework rather than through an immediate political decision.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from Indian Defence News.



Singapore’s prison population is ageing, with one in six inmates now aged 60 or above, compared with one in 10 in 2019. Daniel Martin spoke with Quentin Lee, Assistant Director and Lead Psychologist at the Singapore Prison Service’s Psychological and Correctional Rehabilitation Division, who is part of a National Committee sub-group focused on preventing offending and re-offending among older adults. They explored the factors driving the rise in elderly inmates and examined the support needed to help older offenders and ex-offenders break the cycle of crime and reintegration into society.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

Rescue teams in Japan have continued their search operations overnight as they race to find survivors following a powerful earthquake that struck Kyushu Island. Several people remain unaccounted for after the 7.1-magnitude quake caused buildings to collapse, with many feared trapped beneath the debris of a shopping centre. CNA Senior Correspondent Michiyo Ishida joins Andrea Heng and Hairianto Diman to provide the latest updates on the rescue efforts and situation on the ground.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

Israel and Iran have carried out direct strikes against each other for the first time since an April ceasefire, increasing concerns that the situation could escalate into a wider regional conflict. The Israeli attacks appear to go against advice from Donald Trump, who reportedly urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu not to respond militarily to Iran in order to protect ongoing peace negotiations from collapsing. Journalist Nosheen Iqbal discusses the developments with the Guardian’s senior international correspondent Julian Borger.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

In “Destination Anywhere,” Melanie Oliveiro interviews Julian Artopé, the founder and CEO of Zenyum, a company specializing in invisible braces and dental care products. He shares insights from his travels, beginning with Germany, his home country, and highlights Lake Ammersee near Munich as a must-visit destination. He then discusses his journey to Hokkaido, Japan’s northernmost main island, where he experienced distinctive shrimp ramen and relaxed in a traditional onsen village.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.