






































Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge on Tuesday accused the Centre of carrying out what he described as a “brazen and calculated attack” on free speech. He claimed that the government issued around 1.95 lakh content-blocking orders to social media platforms between March and July 2026. Sharing an infographic on X, Kharge alleged that the government’s approach to online censorship was undermining citizens’ democratic right to speak, question and dissent. He compared the alleged social media restrictions with the use of force against young protesters.
Kharge claimed that nearly 1.95 lakh blocking orders were issued in just five months, amounting to roughly one order every 68 seconds. He alleged that the action was particularly targeted at students and young people protesting over examinations and accountability. According to Kharge, posts and videos supporting the protests were systematically removed from social media following government directions. He also accused supporters of the ruling party of engaging in online harassment, including doxxing and threats against women, while claiming that critics of the government faced takedowns, FIR notices and intimidation.
He further alleged that the government had reduced the time available for content takedown and relied increasingly on automated systems, which he claimed could result in content being removed without adequate human review. The Delhi Police has defended its handling of protests by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) at Jantar Mantar before the Supreme Court. The police told the apex court that its personnel exercised “maximum restraint” and used only the minimum force necessary to control the situation.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi District) Sachin Sharma said the situation escalated after protesters allegedly became violent and breached multiple barricades while attempting to march towards Parliament. The affidavit was submitted in response to petitions alleging excessive use of force during the demonstrations. Addressing claims that police used lathis fitted with nails, Sharma rejected the allegation and said the video footage cited in support of the claim consisted of only a single video.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

Union Health and Family Welfare Minister JP Nadda underwent angioplasty at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, on Monday, August 17, 2026. The hospital said his condition is stable and he remains under observation in the Department of Cardiology. According to an AIIMS statement, Nadda underwent the procedure after being evaluated for uneasiness. The hospital confirmed that he is currently stable and receiving medical care.
Several political leaders have wished the Union minister a speedy recovery. Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Harsh Sanghavi expressed his concern and prayed for Nadda’s good health. “Wishing a speedy recovery and good health to Union Minister Shri JP Nadda Ji,” Sanghavi said in a post on X. Gujarat Energy and Petrochemicals Minister Rushikesh Patel also extended his wishes to Nadda, hoping for his swift recovery and continued good health.
Nadda had been admitted to the cardiology department at AIIMS on August 14 for observation after experiencing uneasiness. The hospital had earlier said that he was evaluated on the evening of August 13 and underwent several tests, including a coronary angiography. AIIMS stated that Nadda was stable and had been admitted for further observation under the Department of Cardiology.
The latest update indicates that Nadda remains stable following the angioplasty. Further details about his health and discharge are expected from the hospital as his medical team continues to monitor his recovery. The Union minister, who also plays a prominent role in the BJP's organisational and political affairs, is expected to resume his regular responsibilities after doctors give him clearance.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor held a meeting with Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai, focusing on strengthening India-US relations and identifying new areas for cooperation across important sectors. Gor described the meeting as “very productive” in a post on X, highlighting Maharashtra’s position as one of India’s leading economic centres and its potential to attract greater American investment.
He said the state presents significant opportunities for US companies, particularly in technology, energy and healthcare. Gor also congratulated the Maharashtra government on signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Cleveland Clinic to develop an integrated healthcare ecosystem, known as ‘MediCity’, in Mumbai. Fadnavis also described the discussions as productive. Welcoming the US envoy to Mumbai, the Maharashtra Chief Minister said both sides discussed ways to further strengthen India-US ties and expand cooperation in various areas.
The meeting comes as Washington and New Delhi seek to deepen their economic and commercial partnership. Earlier, Gor had called for greater predictability in taxation, stable regulatory policies, stronger intellectual property protection and increased trust between the two countries on export controls and technology transfers.
Addressing the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) National Convention 2026, Gor noted that India-US trade in goods and services has grown dramatically over the past two decades, rising from about USD 20 billion to more than USD 240 billion. He said both countries are working toward an ambitious target of USD 500 billion in bilateral trade by 2030.
Gor described the India-US commercial relationship as having “unbelievable and incredible potential”, while acknowledging that certain economic and regulatory challenges need to be addressed to fully realise that potential. During an interaction with ANI on the sidelines of the convention, Gor also spoke about voter identification in the United States. Referring to US President Donald Trump’s position, he argued that voter ID requirements should be introduced in the US and maintained that the issue should not be treated as a partisan matter.
The ambassador pointed to India’s voter identification system as an example and said stronger identification requirements could help strengthen confidence in the electoral process. The Mumbai meeting between Gor and Fadnavis therefore comes against the backdrop of broader efforts to expand India-US cooperation, with trade, technology, healthcare, energy and investment emerging as key areas of potential collaboration.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from X/@USAmbIndia.

India-US trade talks are progressing positively, and a comprehensive bilateral agreement could provide a significant boost to trade and business between the two countries, Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC) National President Anup Acharya said. Speaking to ANI on the sidelines of the IACC National Convention 2026, Acharya said both India and the US have maintained a positive approach toward the proposed trade agreement from the outset. He noted that negotiations have taken time because the discussions cover a wide range of issues and are aimed at producing a comprehensive deal.
Acharya's remarks came after US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor said that around 99 per cent of the India-US trade agreement had been completed, with only the remaining one per cent yet to be resolved. Reacting to the ambassador's assessment, Acharya said the negotiations were clearly moving in the right direction. He also referred to positive statements from Ambassador Gor and Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal, expressing confidence that the remaining issues would be addressed through continued discussions.
He said a bilateral agreement could only be finalised after detailed negotiations, with both governments seeking an outcome that supports businesses and trade in their respective countries. Acharya added that the strong relationship between India and the US provides a favourable foundation for a mutually beneficial agreement.
The US ambassador also addressed the IACC National Convention 2026, where he emphasised the importance of stronger economic cooperation between India and the United States. Gor highlighted the need for predictable taxation, stable regulations, stronger intellectual property protection and greater trust on issues involving export controls and technology transfers.
He also pointed to the significant expansion in India-US trade in goods and services, which has risen from around USD 20 billion to more than USD 240 billion over the past two decades. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis met Ambassador Gor during the convention to discuss potential areas of cooperation. According to Fadnavis, the discussions focused on sectors including technology, education, universities, data centres and semiconductors, where the US has considerable expertise.
Fadnavis said Maharashtra is exploring ways to attract greater investment in these sectors and channel American capabilities and capital into the state. With negotiations continuing, expectations are growing that a comprehensive India-US trade agreement could strengthen market access, encourage investment and further deepen economic ties between the two countries.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.



In today’s 17 August market analysis on Open For Business, Hairianto Diman and Justine Moss are joined by Nick Ferres, Chief Investment Officer at Vantage Point, to discuss the latest market trends and developments.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

On today’s (13 August) episode of Open For Business, Hairianto Diman and Justine Moss discuss the latest market trends and economic developments with Will McGough, Chief Investment Officer at Prime Capital Financial. The conversation explores current market conditions, investment sentiment, inflation, interest rates, and the broader outlook for investors as global financial markets respond to evolving economic signals and changing expectations.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

Only weeks after basking in the success of the World Cup, FIFA president Gianni Infantino is now facing growing pressure over his position. Infantino has apologised for his controversial proposal to sell the World Cup, but the apology has failed to stop calls for him to step down. The plan has sparked widespread criticism, raising fresh questions about his leadership and whether this latest controversy could prove too damaging. Why did the proposal trigger such a strong backlash, and could it ultimately bring Infantino’s FIFA presidency to an end? Sport reporter Jack Snape joins host Reged Ahmad to examine the growing crisis surrounding the FIFA chief and what could happen next.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

Meta’s Ray-Ban smart glasses have rapidly emerged as one of the world’s most popular new tech products, with reports suggesting that more than seven million pairs were sold in 2025. Supporters praise the glasses for making photography and accessibility more convenient, but the technology has also sparked privacy concerns. Critics have dubbed them “pervert glasses,” while some UK pubs and restaurants, including Wetherspoons, have reportedly banned customers from using the devices on their premises.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.