World
Russia's frontline communications disrupted as Starlink and Telegram face restrictions.

Russian forces in Ukraine are encountering major communication challenges due to both restricted access to Elon Musk’s Starlink internet system and a Kremlin crackdown on the Telegram messaging app. The sudden disruptions have hindered frontline operations, according to complaints on pro-Russian military channels, which have been confirmed by Ukrainian and European diplomats and analysts. This comes as Kyiv’s forces reportedly continue to inflict heavy losses on Russian troops.
Earlier in February, Elon Musk stated that SpaceX had successfully blocked “unauthorized use of Starlink by Russia,” cutting off terminals that had been smuggled into the country and deployed for military communications and drone operations. Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov confirmed that authorized terminals used by Ukraine remained operational and thanked SpaceX for its timely support.
On February 10, Russia’s communications regulator, Roskomnadzor, imposed new restrictions on Telegram for failing to comply with national data laws, angering many Russian soldiers who rely on the app for battlefield communication. Senior European diplomats told Bloomberg that these disruptions have had a notable impact. A NATO official noted that some of Ukraine’s recent tactical successes were made possible because Russian troops lost access to Starlink. Analysts from the Institute for the Study of War said Ukrainian counterattacks in recent days likely benefited from these disruptions, particularly as Russian drone operations have been slowed, limiting their ability to strike at previous levels.
Analyst David Kirichenko of the Center for European Policy Analysis emphasized the importance of Starlink, noting that drones, which account for around 60% of battlefield fire damage, are heavily affected by the service loss. Ukraine’s intelligence reports indicate that Russia was using thousands of Starlink terminals at the front. Kyiv also warned that Russian forces pressured Ukrainian relatives of prisoners of war to register terminals on their behalf to bypass restrictions. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy acknowledged Russia would seek alternatives but affirmed Ukraine would attempt to block them. Ukrainian authorities have urged citizens to report any attempts to recruit them for registering blocked terminals.
Pro-Kremlin figures have publicly admitted the impact. Blogger Yuriy Podolyak described the Starlink shutdown as causing “chaos” in communications, while military correspondent Alexander Sladkov said the Telegram restrictions were “burying command and control capabilities.” The disruption coincides with Russia’s effort to push citizens toward its government-backed messaging app, Max, which critics say lacks proper security safeguards. The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed the Starlink shutdown but claimed domestic communications systems were unaffected, with Valery Tishkov of the army’s Main Communications Directorate stating that combat control systems remain operational.
These difficulties come at a challenging moment for Russian frontline troops, as Western assessments suggest the country is losing more soldiers than it can replace. New recruits are often inexperienced and poorly trained, worsening operational effectiveness. Ukraine reported 35,000 Russian KIA in December and 30,000 in January, higher than the 2025 monthly average of 25,000, with recent losses exceeding replacement numbers by about 9,000.
British Defence Secretary John Healey noted that growing casualties have made Russia increasingly reliant on foreign fighters from countries including India, Pakistan, Nepal, Cuba, Nigeria, Senegal, and North Korea. Healey also said that in some areas of the front, Russian losses may now be as high as 25 soldiers for each Ukrainian casualty. Russian officials rarely release official casualty figures, with President Putin and top generals maintaining that Russian fatalities are lower than those suffered by Ukraine.



