World
'Political manoeuver' with no legal basis, says Cuban President on US indictment of Raul Castro
Published On Thu, 21 May 2026
Asian Horizan Network
3 Views

Havana, May 21 (AHN) The charges by the US government against Cuban Revolution leader Raul Castro are a "political manoeuver" with no legal basis whatsoever, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said.
Diaz-Canel said on X on Wednesday (local time) that the charges "only reveal the arrogance and frustration of the empire's representatives in the face of the unwavering resolve of the Cuban Revolution and the unity and moral strength of its leadership."
Earlier on Wednesday, a grand jury from the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida indicted Raul Castro for his alleged role in ordering the downing of two planes operated by a Cuban exile group in the United States named "Brothers to the Rescue" in 1996.
Diaz-Canel said the indictment is intended "solely to enlarge the file they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba."
Washington "is lying and manipulating the events surrounding the downing of the small planes belonging to the narco-terrorist organization Brothers to the Rescue," he said.
The president recounted what happened on February 24, 1996, saying Cuba acted "in legitimate self-defence" within its territorial waters after members of the Miami-based group repeatedly violated the island country's airspace, reports Xinhua news agency.
Cuba issued more than a dozen warnings about the violations, "but (the US government) ignored the warnings and allowed the violations to continue," he said, adding that "documentary evidence" demonstrated that Cuba did not act "recklessly" or violate international law.
Castro, "as a guerrilla leader and statesman, won the love of his people, in addition to the respect and admiration of other leaders in the region and the world. These values are his best defence and a moral shield against the ridiculous attempt to diminish his stature as a hero," Diaz-Canel said.
Castro, 94, served as Cuba's minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces at the time of the incident.



