World
Death toll from Indonesia's 7.7-magnitude quake rises to 54
Published On Mon, 17 Aug 2026
Asian Horizan Network
3 Views

Jakarta, Aug 17 (AHN) The death toll from a 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Indonesia's East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province has risen to 54, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said on Monday.
BNPB chief Suharyanto said authorities were continuing to assess casualties and damage, while rescue teams were providing medical assistance to hundreds of injured people.
As of Sunday, more than 12,000 people had been left homeless, with the earthquake damaging homes and public facilities. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said aftershocks were continuing.
Authorities have deployed land, sea and air transportation, including 11 aircraft and helicopters, to deliver relief supplies and support evacuation efforts in remote areas, including Palue Island in Sikka regency.
A field hospital is also being prepared at Golo Dukal Stadium after the earthquake damaged Manggarai Regional Hospital and disrupted local health services, reports Xinhua news agency.
Meanwhile, Indonesia's East Nusa Tenggara provincial government has declared a 14-day emergency response status following the earthquake.
The emergency response period runs from August 15 to August 28, said a provincial government decree issued by Melki Laka Lena, governor of East Nusa Tenggara province.
The earthquake was centred about 30 km northeast of Mbay in Nagekeo Regency at a depth of 15 km, according to the decree.
The quake damaged 914 houses heavily, 126 moderately and 317 lightly. It also damaged 93 educational facilities, 36 health facilities and 38 government offices.
The provincial government said the emergency response status was aimed at facilitating disaster response, evacuation, relief distribution and recovery efforts in affected areas.
Melki Laka Lena, governor of East Nusa Tenggara province, told a press conference in Kupang on Saturday that some roads were cut off or blocked by landslides.
Following the earthquake, several flights in East Nusa Tenggara province were cancelled.
The earthquake, centred near Mbay town in Nagekeo Regency, struck early Saturday and triggered a tsunami warning that was later lifted by Indonesia's Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency.
Rescue teams are continuing to assess casualties and damage across the affected areas.



